Monday, March 30, 2009

Confessions of a popaholic (not literally)


If one were to ask me to discuss the state of female representation in pop music, I'd probably ask them to cease and desist. 

I'm not going to lie, it's a little disheartening. The suggestive lyrics, the barely-there clothing, the excessive gyrating, the objectification, the Pussy Cat Dolls. It's all a bit overwhelming.

And then I hear something of popular culture that doesn't encourage a backward gender relationship, and I kind of like it. Maybe that sound is Pink, maybe it isn't..Inevitably it is, but let's not judge.

Pink's latest song from her album Funhouse is satisfyingly different. Sober takes the form of a ballad; and no, it's nothing akin to Dear Mr. President, which I for one appreciate. The song depicts the singer's apparent struggle to find her sober self.
"I'm safe up high, nothing can touch me...I'm looking for myself sober"

Sober is a different approach for Pink. While her previous singles tend to juxtaposition an issue with the pop of a catchy melody, this one does not. It's quite raw, there's a lot of angst , and it's suitably grungy.

This song challenges the feminisation of drinking. In a world that glorifies alcoholism and its inherent female involvement, it's refreshing to hear a message that contradicts the majority. More than likely it was cleverly produced purely to oppose a mainstream ideology, as is always the way with Pink (Stupid Girls, Dear Mr. President, So What). Splash in an element of lesbianism in the video between Pink and a twin, and you've got yourself the lavish money-maker that is 'controversy'. I'm appreciative of it nonetheless. I'd much rather the next generation of young women listen to anti-alcoholistic music than IFYOULIKEITTHENYOUSHOULDHAVEPUTARINGONIT, but that's another story. 

Certainly, Sober is a far cry from the days of Misundaztood (not joking, that was the name of the album), but it's still Pink. Unless you're a 12-year-old girl slash a severely uncultured 'punk rock fan', you're not going to listen to Funhouse. However, considering the dire ways of her fellow female pop princesses, Pink seems to offer that little bit of sugary sweet relief.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha! this is great. i love stab at beyonce and the pussycat dolls. you have made my morning.

    ReplyDelete